About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the specter of future pandemics. For my dissertation at LMU's Amerika-Institut, I'm anatomizing the poetics (especially the prosody) of E. A. Robinson's sonnets. I also teach at Münchner Volkshochschule and lead the Amerikahaus Literary Circle.

20130328

Not Wings


by Carrie Etter

I stumble over the stone angel´s song,
ply her ever-open mouth with tempered
heresy and blushing wit. I lack wings,
have a knack for ascent, how to hover.

I relish belief in an unheard song
and try to refuse to bargain, tempered
by doubt. The lake blues in the wake of wings.
I almost see. This is how I hover,

poised at the bank in a vestige of song.
I listen to the absence. Doubt´s tempered
when faith enjoys its fetters. No, not wings.
A pair of feet--mine--stand where I hover.

Note:  A recitation can be heard here.

No comments:

Post a Comment