About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the spectre of global pandemics. At LMU Munich's Amerika-Institut, where I tutor composition and poetics, I'm anatomizing the sonnets of E. A. Robinson for my dissertation. I also teach at Münchner Volkshochschule and Amerikahaus.

20130417

Sonnet 98


by William Shakespeare

From you haue I beene absent in the spring, 
When proud pide Aprill (drest in all his trim) 
Hath put a spirit of youth in euery riling,: 
That heauie Saturne laugh t and leapt with him. 

Yet nor the laies of birds, nor the sweet smell 
Of different flowers in odor and in hew, 
Could make me any summers story tell : 
Or from their proud lap pluck them where they grew: 

Nor did I wonder at the Lillies white, 
Nor praise the deepe vermillion in the Rose, 
They weare but sweet, but figures of delight: 
Drawne after you, you patterne of all those. 

Yet seem'd it Winter still, and you away, 
As with your shaddow I with these did play.

No comments:

Post a Comment