About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the specter of future pandemics. For my dissertation at LMU's Amerika-Institut, I'm anatomizing the poetics (especially the prosody) of E. A. Robinson's sonnets. I also teach at M√ľnchner Volkshochschule and lead the Amerikahaus Literary Circle.

20130512

11 May 2013


Though spring, the steel-grey skies of Schwabing weep
with us now gathered here to say farewell:
Forgive our grieving and the tears that sweep
within us, wave-like, as a torrent's swell

of memories--how just your soul would share
unfettered joy and kindness with us all;
how genuine your honest love was fair;
and how, in us, you only goodness saw--

are met with mourning, Jesse, for we've lost
you to eternity and let you go
amid our songs and psalms and hearts now crossed.
Your light has left ours heartened and aglow.

Mark Olival-Bartley

Note:  A recitation can be heard here.

No comments:

Post a Comment