About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the spectre of global pandemics. At LMU Munich's Amerika-Institut, where I tutor composition and poetics, I'm anatomizing the sonnets of E. A. Robinson for my dissertation. I also teach at Münchner Volkshochschule and Amerikahaus.

20140402

Interior with Owl I


by Durs Grünbein

Moon shines in the room.  Nothing is real.
Every moment unfathomable; the world,
colossal echo in the labyrinth of the senses.
In the hand, a coin—my talisman.
Seven grams of silver, pure symbol.
Owl, enlighten me, open the eyes.
Beast on the tetradrachme of Attica, help.

Translated by Mark Olival-Bartley

Interieur mit Eule I

von Durs Grünbein

Mond scheint ins Zimmer.  Nichts ist Real.
Jeder Augenblick unergründlich, die Welt
Kolossales Echo im Labyrinth der Sinne.
In der Hand eine Münzemein Talisman.
Siebzehn Gramm Silber, reines Symbol.
Eule, erleuchte mich, öffne die Augen.
Tier auf der Tetradrachme aus Attika, hilf.

NaPoWriMo14 #2


Note:  A recitation can be heard here.


No comments:

Post a Comment