About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the spectre of global pandemics. At LMU Munich's Amerika-Institut, where I tutor composition and poetics, I'm anatomizing the sonnets of E. A. Robinson for my dissertation. I also teach at M√ľnchner Volkshochschule and Amerikahaus.

20150319

For Arvia

On Her Fifth Birthday

by Edwin Arlington Robinson


You Eyes, you large and all-enquiring Eyes,

That look so dubiously into me,
And are not satisfied with what you see,
Tell me the worst and let us have no lies:
Tell me the meaning of your scrutinies.
And of myself.  Am I a Mystery?
Am I a Boojumor just Company?
What do you say?  What do you think, You Eyes?

You say not; but you think, beyond a doubt;

And you have the whole world to think about,
With very little time for little things.
So let it be; and let all be fair
For you, and for the rest who cannot share
Your gold of unrevealed awakenings.

Note:  A recitation can be heard here.

No comments:

Post a Comment