About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the specter of future pandemics. For my dissertation at LMU's Amerika-Institut, I'm anatomizing the poetics (especially the prosody) of E. A. Robinson's sonnets. I also teach at Münchner Volkshochschule and lead the Amerikahaus Literary Circle.

20150718

On the Night of a Friend's Wedding

by Edwin Arlington Robinson

 If ever I am old, and all alone,
 I shall have killed one grief, at any rate;
 For then, thank God, I shall not have to wait
 Much longer for the sheaves that I have sown.
 The devil only knows what I have done,
 But here I am, and here are six or eight
 Good friends, who most ingenuously prate
 About my songs to such and such a one.

 But everything is all askew to-night, —
 As if the time were come, or almost come,
 For their untenanted mirage of me
 To lose itself and crumble out of sight,
 Like a tall ship that floats above the foam
 A little while, and then breaks utterly.


No comments:

Post a Comment