About Me

My photo
As the resident poet at EcoHealth, my verse finds inspiration these days in the spectre of global pandemics. At LMU Munich's Amerika-Institut, where I tutor composition and poetics, I'm anatomizing the sonnets of E. A. Robinson for my dissertation. I also teach at M√ľnchner Volkshochschule and Amerikahaus.

20160421

I

All you that hear in scattered rhymes the sound
of sighs on which I used to feed my heart
in youthful error when I was in part
another man, and not what I am now,

for the vain hopes, vain sorrows I avow,
in tears and discourse of my varied art,
in any who have played a lover's part
pity I hope to find, and pardon too.

But now I plainly see how I became
a mocking tale that common people tell,
and in myself my self I put to shame;

and of my raving all the fruit is shame,
and penitence, and knowing all too well
that what the world loves is a passing dream.

Petrarch, Canzoniere;
Translated by Anthony Mortimer

No comments:

Post a Comment